Popular Posts

Thursday, April 12, 2012

NEW STUMP SHRINKER

  I have been so excited.  I got my stump shrinker.  I know........  I know......  :D  how can anyone
be excited over a stump shrinker?  I am because that makes me two weeks closer to my new 
leg.  
  If you are not sure what a stump shrinker is, don't feel bad :D I didn't either.  
A stump shrinker is a very long tube sock open at both ends.  It has a ring in the middle that slides. 
It is compared to a compression sock that is thicker and tighter.  For me it feels good, better than 
the ace bandages.  The ace bandages have uneven pressure and it really doesn't matter how
well it is wrapped.  The stump shrinker evens out the pressure and that feels much better. 
     I have only had it on for three days now.  I found out I wear a size 4.  No that doesnt mean I am
skinny it means my calf is 13 inches.   
    To put it on,  slide one end of the sock over your leg to about 2 inches above the knee
slide the ring  up to make the sock tight,  step 2.....  like a regular sock,  take the top of the sock
and slide it over the other sock until it is the same as the previous.  :D  this sock should be tight.
Your Prosthetician will measure your leg, and decide what size you will wear for two weeks.
  Joe who came to the house for me to sign papers and also to bring me another stump shrinker
explained to me that in less than two weeks it will be falling off, this is normal so don't panic.
     As my stump shrinks I will post photos of my progress.   For me this is a wonderful new journey
it is normal to feel a little depressed, angry, in my case this amputation is at my request.  I needed this to finish living.  With my right shin detoriating,  I could not even walk.  
  It takes determination,  ambition, good attitude,  and most of all,  .........
NEVER EVER GIVE UP................  
 have  a great day and take it one step at a time 

No comments:

Post a Comment